Sunday, December 10, 2006

Smoked Salmon and Dill



Unfortunately for me I ended up working most of this past weekend. That was my initial thought as least, how “unfortunate” I was to have to go into the office on Saturday and Sunday in order to hit a deadline later this week. But then I remembered that work = money and I suddenly didn’t feel so bad at all.

What working did mean though was that I didn’t get to spend anytime in the kitchen this weekend. I was planning on making the kind of soul warming stew that sticks to the bones. Sure, I’ve never actually cooked anything like that but from what I hear it’s actually quite simple. A friend of mine made just such a dish recently.

I also wanted to make another batch of butternut squash and the Professor had a wonderful idea to make churros with Mexican hot chocolate for dessert. Yum!

Alas, it was not to be. It’s the same old story told for generations, too much work and too little time. Don’t you hate it when that happens? Under these circumstances I just might have to sneak out of work early one day this week, head straight to the farmer’s market in Union Square and then straight home and into the kitchen make up for a lost weekend.

The weekend wasn’t entirely lost though. In addition to making a few extra dollars (which will probably be spent on wine as I probably should heed my spirit animal’s advice and buy some 2005 Bordeaux futures) I did manage to throw together a bagel with smoked salmon, cream cheese, capers and dill. It certainly was a nice treat before heading into the office today.

No comments: