Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Lemon Ricotta Pancakes!


Don't these pancakes look good? OF COURSE they do! They’re pancakes! Freshly baked! But they aren't just any pancakes. They're lemony ricotta pancakes!

So anyways, this was my breakfast one weekend morning, and, as you can see below, nearly breakfast for one of my cats as well. The Minimalist column in the New York Times dining section a few weeks ago featured pancakes. The gist of the piece was just how incredibly easy making pancakes from scratch can be, adding, at most, a whopping 30 seconds to the time it takes to make of a batch from a mix. This I knew already though as I've been making a lot of pancakes lately.


What I haven’t been doing, though, is making any attempt to raise my pancakes to the next level. What does raising my pancakes to the next level mean, you ask? Well, in this case it means cheese; ricotta cheese to be precise. And yogurt. And lemon zest. And egg whites that are whipped and then folded into the batter. And a dash of salt. Oh, and using butter in the skillet rather than oil, as I had been doing.

That, my friend, is definitely operating on a higher level than I was before, which was just the plain old flour, egg, baking powder, sugar and milk mixture.

Now, thanks to the New York Times I've got game!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

that's right. eating good on my birthday is key.
oh, wait, my birthday fell on Wed this year and you mentioned this was your week-end breakfast? liar! you are making pancakes on week-days! how could ya!?
on the other hand... they DO at least look good, i must admit - and probably tasted great too.

Unknown said...


I love your posts and everything looks wonderful. I love your idea thanks for sharing.
ហៃឡូ Online